Vehicle Transfer Applications

vehicle transfer applications are performed in front of a notary public by both the transferor and transferee to avoid future disputes regarding the sale or transfer of the vehicle

Whether it is a car, motorcycle or some other type of vehicle, making and signing a solemn declaration in front of a notary public will protect the transfer ease of interest in the transaction. Oftentimes, the Ministry of Transportation in the applicable province, state or country will require such a document and may even provide one for you.

The requirements differ whether you are transferring the vehicle from yourself to (1) a family member or (2) a third-party.

  1. Transfers to a family member

Transferring a vehicle to a family member is less complicated than transferring it to a third-party. This may be done once every 12 months. The government defines a family member as one of the following:

a.a spouse

  1. a parent or stepparent
  2. a child or step child
  3. a grandparent or step grandparent
  4. a grandchild or step grandchild
  5. a son or daughter in law
  6. a mother or father-in-law
  7. a sibling or step sibling
  8. a half sibling
  9. an adopted sibling.

To complete the transfer, both the transferor and transferee must first visit a Ministry of Transportation Ontario Service location with the following information:

  • Proof of Ontario car insurance
  • Ontario driver’s license for both parties
  • Safety standards certificate (not needed for inter-spouse transfers so long as each party signs a notarized spousal declaration which can be found HERE!!!)
  • Drive Clean test results only if you are using the retail tax exemption and your vehicle is due for a Drive Clean test. Spouses are exempt from this requirement if they file a notarized spousal declaration which can be found HERE!!!
  • A vehicle ownership permit. Please ensure that the back section is completed.
  • A notarized, sworn statement for a family gift of a used motor vehicle in the Province of Ontario form.
  • A vehicle license plate transfer declaration if the license plates are staying with the car being transferred.
  1. Transfers to third parties

When you are selling a motor vehicle:

Transferring a vehicle to a third-party is a much more onerous task than an interspousal transfer. To begin, it is important to confirm that the vehicle identification number matches the number provided on the green ownership permit.

As the seller of the vehicle, you should be ready to provide the purchaser with the following items:
  • A used vehicle information package which is available HERE!!!
  • A bill of sale signed by the seller that includes the seller’s name, the buyer’s name and address, the date along with the purchase price for the applicable vehicle. Should you require assistance in preparing the bill of sale we are available to help.
  • They filled out an application for the transfer of the vehicle. This is located on the back of your ownership permit underneath the vehicle section.
  • If required, you will need to provide a certificate which states that the vehicle being transferred to meet safety standards. The certificate is provided by a licensed mechanic with a green and white sign indicating “Ontario Motor Vehicle Inspection Station”.
Once you have completed the transfer process, please remember to remove your license plates. The license plate should stay with the transfer or and not be provided with the vehicle. Furthermore, you also have the right to request a refund from the Ministry of transportation for the months left on your plates stickers. This can be done at any Ministry of Transportation Ontario Service Centre. When you are purchasing a motor vehicle:
  • It is advisable that you contact a reputable service such as Carfax or the Ontario government website and research the vehicle’s history and maintenance records. You may also wish to have your mechanic inspect the vehicle to provide you with confidence that the inner workings of the vehicle meet your requirements.
    • It is also advisable to check the vehicle’s emissions test history on the Drive Clean website. You will need the vehicle identification number (VIN) to complete the search. It is free.
    • If the owner of the vehicle is willing, you can request that they provide you with a current drive clean emissions test.
    • It is very important that you check the van to ensure that the seller is the legally registered owner of the vehicle. Ask the seller for a Used Vehicle Information Package along with a copy of their driver’s license so that you may compare it against the registered owner’s name.
    • Check the vehicle owner’s permit and ensure that the Vin on the permit matches the actual Vin on the vehicle.
    • Ensure that there are no liens or debts registered against the vehicle. This information is contained in the Used Vehicle Information Report. You may also order your own report HERE!!!
As soon as the vehicle purchase has been completed you have six days to register it with the ministry. Here is what you will need to bring to the Ministry of Ontario service kiosk to complete the registration:
  • Proof of insurance in your name.
  • Your Ontario driver’s license.
    • The completed Used Vehicle Information package.
    • The signed Bill of Sale.
    • A Safety Standards Certificate. Kindly note that this is not needed for interspousal transfers so long as you provide a notarized spousal declaration.
    • The owner’s permit will need to be provided with the application for transfer portion on the back of the permit completed.
    • A record of the odometer reading.

Feel free to contact us at 416-840-6943 or by email at if you have any questions. Alternatively you may fill in the form below and we shall get back to you as soon as possible.